The Discourses and other early political writings
- Full Title:
- The Discourses and other early political writings
- Rousseau, Jean-Jacques
- Other Author:
- Gourevitch, Victor.
- Statement of Responsibility:
- Jean-Jacques Rousseau; ed. and transl. by Victor Gourevitch
- Cambridge texts in the history of political thought
- LIII, 437 p. : Ill
- The work of Jean-Jacques Rousseau is presented in two volumes, together forming a comprehensive anthology of Rousseau's political writings in English. This second volume contains...
Summary:The work of Jean-Jacques Rousseau is presented in two volumes, together forming a comprehensive anthology of Rousseau's political writings in English. This second volume contains the earlier writings such as the First and Second Discourses, the publication of which signalled the power and challenge of Rousseau's thinking. Rousseau's influence was wide reaching and has continued to grow since his death: major landmarks in world history, such as the American and French Revolutions, were profoundly affected by Rousseau's writing, as were cultural and intellectual movements such as Romanticism and Idealism. This volume, like its successor, contains a comprehensive introduction, chronology and guide to further reading and will enable students to obtain a full understanding of the writings of one of the world's greatest thinkers.
- Preface Introduction Chronology of Jean-Jacques Rousseau A brief guide to further reading A note on the texts A note on the translations A note on...
Contents:Preface Introduction Chronology of Jean-Jacques Rousseau A brief guide to further reading A note on the texts A note on the translations A note on the editorial notes and index Discourse on the Science and Arts or First Discourse Preface Part I Part II Discourse on the Origin and Foundations of Inequality Among Men or Second Discourse Epistle dedicatory Preface Exordium Part I Part II Rousseau's notes Letter to Voltaire Essay on the Origin of Languages Idea of the Method in the Composition of a Book Discourse on the Virtue a Hero Most Needs or On Heroic Virtue List of abbreviations and textual conventions Editorial notes Index of editors, translators and annotators General index.
- Publisher & Date:
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 1997.
- Date of Publication:
- Cambridge University Press
- A 8.5.2
- 9780521424455 (pbk)
In the Library
|Call Number||Location||Availability||Description||Loan Type|
|A 8.5.2 RouJ 1997||General collection||On Shelf||-||For regular loan|
In the Library
A 8.5.2 RouJ 1997