Judging and emotion : a socio-legal analysis
- Full Title:
- Judging and emotion : a socio-legal analysis
- Anleu, Sharyn L. Roach
- Other Author:
- Mack, Kathy.
- Statement of Responsibility:
- Sharyn Roach Anleu and Kathy Mack
- 230 p.
- Judging and Emotion investigates how judicial officers understand, experience, display, manage and deploy emotions in their everyday work, in light of their fundamental commitment to...
Summary:Judging and Emotion investigates how judicial officers understand, experience, display, manage and deploy emotions in their everyday work, in light of their fundamental commitment to impartiality. Judging and Emotion challenges the conventional assumption that emotion is inherently unpredictable, stressful or a personal quality inconsistent with impartiality. Extensive empirical research with Australian judicial officers demonstrates the ways emotion, emotional capacities and emotion work are integral to judicial practice. Judging and Emotion articulates a broader conception of emotion, as a social practice emerging from interaction, and demonstrates how judicial officers undertake emotion work and use emotion as a resource to achieve impartiality. A key insight is that institutional requirements, including conceptions of impartiality as dispassion, do not completely determine the emotion dimensions of judicial work. Through their everyday work, judicial officers construct and maintain the boundaries of an impartial judicial role which necessarily incorporates emotion and emotion work.
- • Chapter 1. Introduction • Chapter 2. Emotion and everyday judicial work: The context • Chapter 3. Judicial impartiality, emotion and empathy • Chapter 4....
Contents:• Chapter 1. Introduction • Chapter 2. Emotion and everyday judicial work: The context • Chapter 3. Judicial impartiality, emotion and empathy • Chapter 4. Judicial emotion: Experience, display and management • Chapter 5: Judicial emotion work: Others’ emotions • Chapter 6. Professional regulation of judicial emotion • Chapter 7. Conclusion
- Publisher & Date:
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2021.
- Date of Publication:
- C 281.6
- 9781138893023 (pbl)
In the Library
|Call Number||Location||Availability||Description||Loan Type|
|C 281.6 Anl 2021||General collection||On Shelf||-||For regular loan|
In the Library
C 281.6 Anl 2021