Advanced introduction to human dignity and law
- Full Title:
- Advanced introduction to human dignity and law
- May, James R.
- Other Author:
- Daly, Erin.
- Statement of Responsibility:
- James R. May and Erin Daly
- Elgar advanced introductions series
- 160 p.
- Elgar Advanced Introductions are stimulating and thoughtful introductions to major fields in the social sciences, business and law, expertly written by the world’s leading scholars....
Summary:Elgar Advanced Introductions are stimulating and thoughtful introductions to major fields in the social sciences, business and law, expertly written by the world’s leading scholars. Designed to be accessible yet rigorous, they offer concise and lucid surveys of the substantive and policy issues associated with discrete subject areas. This thought-provoking introduction provides an incisive overview of dignity law, a field of law emerging in every region of the globe that touches all significant aspects of the human experience. Through an examination of the burgeoning case law in this area, James R. May and Erin Daly reveal a strong overlapping consensus surrounding the meaning of human dignity as a legal right and a fundamental value of nations large and small, and how this global jurisprudence is redefining the relationship between individuals and the state.
Key features include: • Analyses of cases from a range of jurisdictions all over the world • A history of the shift of the concept of dignity from a philosophical idea to a legally enforceable right • Discussion of dignity as a value and a right in different major legal contexts, and its roots in African, Asian, European and Islamic traditions.
- 1. A very brief overview of a very important idea 2. Dignity and Human Rights 3. An Emerging Overlapping Consensus on the Meaning of Dignity...
Contents:1. A very brief overview of a very important idea 2. Dignity and Human Rights 3. An Emerging Overlapping Consensus on the Meaning of Dignity Under Law 4. The Value of A Life: Intrinsic Worth, Agency, and Autonomy 5. The Life of the Mind: Intellectual and Emotional Integrity 6. Living With Dignity 7. Towards a Democratic Theory of Dignity Index
- Publisher & Date:
- Cheltenham : Edward Elgar, 2020.
- Date of Publication:
- Edward Elgar
- D 27.1
- 9781789901702 (pbk)
In the Library
|Call Number||Location||Availability||Description||Loan Type|
|D 27.1 May 2020||General collection||On Shelf||-||For regular loan|
In the Library
D 27.1 May 2020