A critical legal examination of liberalism and liberal rights
- Full Title:
- A critical legal examination of liberalism and liberal rights
- McManus, Matthew.
- Statement of Responsibility:
- Matthew McManus
- Palgrave Studies in Classical Liberalism
- XXII, 289 p.
- This book has two aims. First, to provide a critical legal examination of the liberal state and liberal rights in the law, and secondly, to...
Summary:This book has two aims. First, to provide a critical legal examination of the liberal state and liberal rights in the law, and secondly, to present a systematic alternative to liberal approaches to both the law and rights, grounded in a left wing conception of human dignity. At the opening of the 21st century a remarkable thing happened. Liberalism, once considered the only doctrine left standing at the end of history, began to face renewed competition from both the political left and the post-modern conservative right. This book argues that the way forward is not to abandon, but to radicalize, the potential of the liberal project. Analysing major theoretical positions in order to build a critical genealogy of liberal rights, McManus lucidly develops a left wing alternative to the classic liberal approach to rights drawing on the traditions of liberal egalitarians and deliberative democracy theory. Societies, he argues, should be committed to advancing the human dignity of all through the enshrinement of certain rights into positive state law, the expansion of democracy and a resolute commitment to economic equality.
- • Liberal Rights and Their Critics • Critics of Liberal Rights • The Limitations of Liberalism and Liberal Rights • Dignified Self-Authorship and a Critical...
Contents:• Liberal Rights and Their Critics • Critics of Liberal Rights • The Limitations of Liberalism and Liberal Rights • Dignified Self-Authorship and a Critical Legal Model of Rights • Rethinking the Ontology of Law and Rights on Critical Legal Lines
- Publisher & Date:
- Cham : Palgrave macmillan, 2020.
- Date of Publication:
- Palgrave macmillan
- A 44.2.2
- 9783030610241 (hbk)
In the Library
|Call Number||Location||Availability||Description||Loan Type|
|A 44.2.2 McM 2020||General collection||On Shelf||-||For regular loan|
In the Library
A 44.2.2 McM 2020