Law and society : an introduction
- Full Title:
- Law and society : an introduction
- Watts, John Harrison.
- Other Author:
- Roberson, Cliff.
- Statement of Responsibility:
- By John Harrison Watts, Cliff Roberson
- 350 p.
- In recent years, legal studies courses have increased the focus on contemporary social issues as part of the curriculum. Law and Society: An Introduction discusses...
Summary:In recent years, legal studies courses have increased the focus on contemporary social issues as part of the curriculum. Law and Society: An Introduction discusses the interface between these two institutions and encourages students in the development of new insights on the topic. The book begins by introducing definitions, classifications, and the concept of the "rule of law." It then explores: • Principal legal systems, including common law, civil law, Islamic and socialist systems, and American Indian law • Feminist legal theories, critical race theory, and the roles of morality and values in social control • The contributions of sociological research and its impact on the law • Court systems and procedures, the exclusionary rule, and plea bargaining • The nature and process of legislative, administrative, and judicial lawmaking • Alternative dispute resolution and international arbitration and mediation • The law as a mechanism for social changes, such as those brought on by the 1964 Civil Rights Act • Issues related to the legal profession and professional responsibility
- An Overview of Law and Society. Legal Systems. Social Research Methods. Legal Structures. Social Control. Lawmaking as a Form of Social Control. Dispute Resolution. Social...
Contents:An Overview of Law and Society. Legal Systems. Social Research Methods. Legal Structures. Social Control. Lawmaking as a Form of Social Control. Dispute Resolution. Social Change and Law. Lawyers. Private Life and the Law. Crime and Justice Issues. Labor Issues and the Law. Index.
- Publisher & Date:
- Boca Raton :, : CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, 2014.
- Date of Publication:
- CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group
- A 47.4
- 9780367740078 (pbk)
In the Library
|Call Number||Location||Availability||Description||Loan Type|
|A 47.4 Wat 2014||General collection||On Shelf||-||For regular loan|
In the Library
A 47.4 Wat 2014