Hardback research handbook on modern legal realism
- Full Title:
- Hardback research handbook on modern legal realism
- Other Author:
- Talesh, Shauhin.
- Statement of Responsibility:
- Edited by Shauhin Talesh, Elizabeth Mertz and Heinz Klug,.
- Research handbooks in legal theory
- 544 p.
- This insightful Research Handbook provides a definitive overview of the New Legal Realism (NLR) movement, reaching beyond historical and national boundaries to form new conversations....
Summary:This insightful Research Handbook provides a definitive overview of the New Legal Realism (NLR) movement, reaching beyond historical and national boundaries to form new conversations. Drawing on deep roots within the law-and-society tradition, it demonstrates the powerful virtues of new legal realist research and its attention to the challenges of translation between social science and law. Highlighting a contrast with the current Empirical Legal Studies movement, chapters employ a variety of theoretically grounded methods to understand law and address legal problems. They explore an impressive range of contemporary issues including immigration, policing, globalization, legal education, and access to justice, concluding with an examination of how different social science disciplines intersect with NLR.
- • 1 Introduction to the Research Handbook on Modern Legal Realism 1 • PART I VARIETIES OF LEGAL REALISM – THEN AND NOW • 2...
Contents:• 1 Introduction to the Research Handbook on Modern Legal Realism 1 • PART I VARIETIES OF LEGAL REALISM – THEN AND NOW • 2 Realism then and now: using the real world to inform formal law 21 • 3 East Coast Legal Realism and its progeny 36 • 4 From the periphery to the center and back? A brief history of Midwest Legal Realism 49 • 5 European New Legal Realism: towards a basic science of law 67 • 6 Lessons for new Legal Realism from Africa and Latin America 82 • PART II LEGAL REALIST SCHOLARSHIP MEETS CURRENT DILEMMAS SECTION A POLICING • 7 Police violence in São Paulo: Between the asphalt and the hill 100 • 8 Police torture, a case for interdisciplinarity 112 • 9 A Legal Realist approach to black-on-black policing 124 • SECTION B IMMIGRATION • 10 Transgressing boundaries through new Legal Realist approaches: Affinity and collaboration within ethnographic research on immigration law and policy 148 • 11 Enacting immigration politics in a juridical register 161 • 12 Critical legal rhetoric takes on immigration and refugee law 176 • SECTION C LEGAL EDUCATION • 13 New Legal Realism goes to law school: Integrating social science and law through legal education 191 • 14 Teaching an interdisciplinary law class 208 • 15 Ambition and reality: Reforms of legal studies at the Faculty of Law at the University of Copenhagen 223 • 16 New Legal Realism, eCRT, and the future of legal education scholarship 240 • SECTION D INTERNATIONAL LAW, GLOBAL STANDARDS, AND REGIME CHANGE • 17 The uses and abuses of global social indicators 263 • 18 “The life of the law has not been logic; it has been experience”: International legal ethnography and the New Legal Realism 277 • 19 The judicialization of politics? 294
• SECTION E ACCESSING JUSTICE THROUGH LAW • 20 A realist perspective on legal strategy in (the) practice 309 • 21 Access to justice 323 • 22 Planet of the insurers: how insurers shape and influence law and impact access to justice 335 • 23 Rendering rural property visible to law: a role for New Legal Realism 353 • 24 Urban property and housing rights in the time of the coronavirus 375 • PART III DISCIPLINARY PERSPECTIVES • 25 Anthropology 393 • 26 Sociology of law and New Legal Realism 412 • 27 The pitfalls and promises of a New Legal Realism rooted in political science 431 • 28 Psychology and legal realism 445 • 29 User’s guide to history 463 • 30 Jurisprudence and legal theory 478 • 31 Law as a discipline: Legal theory, interdisciplinary legal theory, and ways of speaking legitimacy to power 489 • Index
- Publisher & Date:
- Cheltenham : Edward Elgar, 2021.
- Date of Publication:
- Edward Elgar
- A 47.4
- 9781788117760 (hbk)
In the Library
|Call Number||Location||Availability||Description||Loan Type|
|A 47.4 Tal 2021||General collection||On Shelf||-||For regular loan|
In the Library
A 47.4 Tal 2021