The internal law of religions : introduction to a comparative discipline
- Full Title:
- The internal law of religions : introduction to a comparative discipline
- Berkmann, Burkhard Josef.
- Other Author:
- Orton, David E.
- Statement of Responsibility:
- Burkhard Josef Berkmann ; translated by David E. Orton
- 208 p.
- Comparative law of religions has developed in recent years as a new discipline at the intersection of legal and religious science, of theology and anthropology....
Summary:Comparative law of religions has developed in recent years as a new discipline at the intersection of legal and religious science, of theology and anthropology. This book presents a systematic theoretical basis for this new discipline. While law is mostly associated with the state, many religions also have their own internal law. These internal legal norms are aimed at a particular form of behaviour on the part of believers. They therefore play a particular role in conflicts arising today between certain religious forms of behaviour. The comparison of the internal law of religions serves to establish and explain the commonalities and differences between various religious legal traditions. The religions examined here include: the law of Christian denominations, Jewish law, Islamic law, Hindu law, Buddhist law, and other religious legal systems. The work assesses six current approaches to the comparative law of religions, evaluating their strengths and weaknesses, leading to the development of a new approach. The book discusses the role of religious law in state law and looks to likely future developments.
- • Preface • Introduction • Overview of various bodies of religious law • Various approaches • Our approach: research subject • Methods of comparative law...
Contents:• Preface • Introduction • Overview of various bodies of religious law • Various approaches • Our approach: research subject • Methods of comparative law of religions • Universality and particularity of the law • The significance of religious law within state law • Summary and outlook
- Publisher & Date:
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2021.
- Date of Publication:
- A 47.1
- 9780367437220 (hbk)
In the Library
|Call Number||Location||Availability||Description||Loan Type|
|A 47.1 Ber 2021||General collection||On Shelf||-||For regular loan|
In the Library
A 47.1 Ber 2021